ModeAudio has announced the release of Undercover, a great collection featuring found percussion samples in high quality WAV audio format.
The collection is divided into 9 main folders:
- Glass filled with 16 bottle strikes samples as well as some beautifully recorded slides, taps, a beer cap opening sound and more;
- Kicks & Thuds the fun continues with sounds that imitate the mighty kick drum: your chair can sound cool, your basket and even the pillows. Judging the sounds in this folder, the guys at Mode Audio have good furniture and great microphones - pillow fight!
- Lids some cool lid sounds including pops, scrapes and screws; with some processing you can create something completely new with them;
- Metal is a consistent collection of various metal hits like coffee pots, coin spins, some keys, lighters, screws and other tools, all of them offering material for unique percussions in your tracks;
- Mixed Objects here, Mode Audio is presenting a folder with samples labeled kicks, claps and hi hats, basically same type of recordings but with more processing until the point they sound familiar to anybody. But not boring, there must be something that wakes up your senses.
- Other Objects other or miscellaneous are not the words to describe this folder; it is the sound designer's dream, filled with paper sounds, zippers, canvas and much much more;
- Plastic features sounds recorded from computer cases, containers, tool boxes, plastic bottles: hits, clicks, strikes, slides etc
- Snaps 12 various snaps created with scissors and shears, short and useful hits to fill your drum patterns with groove;
- Woods is the folder where wood is taking its treatment: drops, strikes, scrapes and hits.
The version for FL Studio of Undercover sample pack comes with 10 DirectWave patches, helping you too keep things in place. You can experiment with each kit and create unique beats.
Personally, I see this collection as a perfect tool for sound design, there are many useful sounds to use in game developing for example, with some processing you can achieve the sounds you need into your project. Still, let's not forget its usability in creating rhythmic and textured drum beats. Forget the plain beats, the variety of sounds included allows you to perfect that human' groove you need into your music.
There are many weapons' to create perfect drum & percussion patterns like panning, quantising, playing with velocities etc and Undercover is the perfect complement to your skills arsenal.